End-User Terms of Service
Dated: 14 Oct 2022
Welcome to TrueLayer!
Who we are
- TrueLayer is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”) under the Payment Services Regulations 2017 and the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (Firm Reference Number: 901096)
- Financial Conduct Authority
- 12 Endeavour Square
- London, E20 1JN
- Contact Centre: 0300 500 0597
- Consumer Helpline: 0800 111 6768
What we do and how we do it
When TrueLayer is integrated with a Partner's website or application that you wish to use, TrueLayer provides you with any of the following Services:
- Payment Initiation Services: We provide regulated payment initiation services ("PIS"). With your consent, and at your instruction, we instruct your payment account provider (e.g. your bank or credit card issuer) ("Payment Account Provider") to make a payment or payments from your selected payment account (your "Payment Account") to your chosen recipient. When you want to make a payment using PIS, we will redirect you to your Payment Account Provider so you can provide them with your login and security credentials ("Credentials") and undergo authentication with them. We will never ask you to share your Credentials with us. The Payment Account Provider will only act on the instruction to make the payment after you give them your Credentials and successfully authenticate with them.When you choose to make a payment using our PIS product you will be directed to a page to select your Payment Account Provider and the Payment Account from which you wish to make payment. By selecting your Payment Account Provider and Payment Account, you consent to use PIS and either;
- instruct TrueLayer to initiate a single payment of your chosen amount to your chosen recipient; or
- enter into a Variable Recurring Payment (“VRP”) Mandate, setting out certain parameters within which a payment can be made.
- Account Information Services: We provide regulated account information services ("AIS"), including through our Partners. We enable you to:
- access and view information relating to your Payment Accounts ("Account Information"), including through our Partners' apps or websites, in a consolidated form; and
- where relevant, to share that Account Information with those Partners and other third parties.
- Through a Partner who is our agent. We may provide AIS through a Partner that is registered with the FCA as our agent for the provision of AIS. In those circumstances, we (and not the Partner) are responsible for the provision of AIS, although we may display consolidated Account Information to you through the Agent's app or website.
- Sharing data with another business at your instruction. We may provide AIS to you directly and, at the same time, and strictly in accordance with your instruction, share your account information with another business who will use your account information to provide a service that you have agreed to use (such as a credit reference service, or an affordability check). In these circumstances, we are responsible for the provision of AIS.
- access the Payment Account(s) and Account Information that you have selected, including, where relevant, when you do not actively request such Account Information (i.e. when you are not actively viewing the data or requesting a refresh of the data) and storing the Account Information temporarily before sharing it with any Partners or third parties you have selected. Any such copy of the data is permanently deleted after one (1) hour; and/or
- provide that Account Information to you, and share it with any Partners or third parties you have selected and instructed us to share data with.
- TrueLayer Verification Services: We may provide you and a Partner with our verification service (“Verification Services”) which will enable you to share data obtained through the regulated AIS service described above with us to enable us to verify your identity on behalf of the Partner. For the purposes of this Verification Service, the terms set out in “Account Information Services” above will apply in addition to those in this “TrueLayer Verification Services” section. In order to use our Verification service, the consent that you provide as part of the AIS Service will permit; (i) the sharing of the relevant Account Information with TrueLayer and the Partner; and(ii) TrueLayer to use that data for the purposes of verifying your identity against a separate set of data provided by the Partner.Once TrueLayer has cross-checked the AIS retrieved data against the data provided by the Partner, we will return a Verification Outcome to the Partner which will state whether the two data sets match, do not match or that insufficient information has been provided.For the avoidance of doubt, the consent process, information shared and re- authentication process are all as set out in “Account Information Services” above.
- Signup+ services: Signup+ allows you to register on one of our Partner’s websites without manually inputting your details. Where this service is offered by our Partner, you will be presented with the choice to share your account number and sort code with us, either through AIS or PIS, for the purposes of verifying your identity. We will pass this account information to our third party data provider Equifax Limited who will provide the Partner and us with the information required to register you on that Partner website.Equifax is a credit reference agency and will return information required to enable this service. This search will have no impact on your credit rating. For more information about Equifax, please read their Credit Reference Agency Information Notice.You can share your account information either through our AIS service or alternatively by making a payment to the Partner’s wallet using our PIS service.
- TrueLayer Merchant Services: We may provide a Partner with a merchant checkout service (the "Merchant Services") that lets you pay them for online products and services from your Payment Account. As part of making the payment, you will use our regulated PIS to make a payment directly from your Payment Account to TrueLayer and TrueLayer will issue you, as the End-User, with electronic money ("E-money").If you are purchasing products or services from or through a Partner who has integrated with our Merchant Services and you select to pay, you will be directed to a page where you will be able to select the Payment Account Provider and Payment Account from which you wish to make payment. By selecting a Payment Account Provider, you instruct TrueLayer to initiate a payment via PIS (i.e. submit an instruction to your Payment Account Provider to make a payment) to TrueLayer for a specific amount (which will be clearly displayed in the account selection page). After you select your Payment Account Provider and Payment Account, we will redirect you to your Payment Account Provider for you to provide them with your login and security credentials and undergo authentication with them, which may include two factor authentication (e.g. a password and biometric credential such as a fingerprint). Neither TrueLayer nor the Partner will be able to see or access your Credentials at any time.If we believe that the conditions set out in these Terms are not satisfied, or if it would be unlawful to initiate a Payment Order, we may refuse to do so. If we refuse to initiate a Payment Order, we or the Partner will notify you through the app or service you are using, unless the law prevents us from doing so.Once your Payment Account Provider has confirmed authentication, we will instruct your Payment Account Provider to make a payment to TrueLayer in accordance with your instructions. Once we receive those funds, we or the Partner will confirm the successful initiation of a Payment Order and we will issue you with E-money of an amount equal to the amount transferred to us. The E-money we issue to you will be transferred to the Partner immediately to settle the payment with that Partner. No further payments will be initiated by TrueLayer to the Partner (or executed by your Payment Account Provider to the Partner), unless you repeat the steps to make a further purchase.Our safeguarding obligations: Where we issue E-money, we will safeguard the relevant funds in line with our regulatory obligations with our safeguarding bank. These funds do not have protection under the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme, however, safeguarding requirements mean the funds are placed in a separate account from TrueLayer's working capital and other funds. If TrueLayer becomes insolvent, claims of E-money holders will be paid from these funds in priority to all other creditors.
Partners and Payment Account Providers
We are not responsible for any problems that you might have with the functionality or suitability of your Payment Account Provider (e.g. your bank or credit card issuer). We are responsible for retrieving and transmitting your Account Information safe and securely but not for the content of your Account Information itself, which is the responsibility of your Payment Account Provider. If you have any questions in relation to these, you should speak to the relevant Partner that provides the app or website that you are using, or to your Payment Account Provider.Your use of the Partner's services and your Payment Account will also be subject to other terms and conditions - these Terms will not affect any of those terms. In particular, the Partner and your Payment Account Providers will have separate rules on data protection that will apply to your use of their services.Once your Account Information is transmitted via our software to a Partner, that Partner becomes responsible for it.We do not charge you as an End-User to use our Services, however, the Partner may charge you for use of their app or services. In turn, Partners may pay us fees for the services we provide to them.Any Account Information that you choose to share as a result of using our Services will be encrypted with a multi-key encryption mechanism. The Partner delivering the app or website will only be able to access this information if you have explicitly given them your permission to do so.
When you use our Services
We are providing the Services to you only and you should not share your access to the Services with anyone else.By using the Services, you represent and confirm that:
- you will not use our Services for any fraudulent, unlawful or abusive purpose;
- the Credentials you use are your own and you are duly authorised to use the Credentials to connect your Payment Account(s) to our Services;
- when you are using our AIS, you give us your explicit consent to retrieve and share Account Information from your selected Payment Account(s) with you and any Partner that you select;
- when you are using our PIS (including any Merchant Services), you are giving us your consent to initiate a payment from your selected Payment Account(s) to your selected recipient.
TrueLayer owns all rights, title and interest (including intellectual property rights) in and to the Services, our website and technology. If you choose to give us feedback or suggestions about any part of our Services, website or technology we may use them without any limitations.
We want you to get the most out of our Services and we will provide our Services with reasonable care and skill. All Services (including any additional services or products) are provided to you on an "as is" and "as available" basis.Other than as expressly set out in these Terms, any additional terms we introduce from time to time, or implied by consumer law, we do not make any particular commitments or promises to you about our Services. For example, we do not promise that any content within the Services, the functions of the Services, or their reliability or availability will be suitable for your needs. This does not affect your statutory rights.To the extent permitted by applicable law, we exclude all warranties.You agree that you will be liable for any losses that are proved to be sustained by TrueLayer as a direct result of your breach of these Terms.
Who is responsible if things go wrong?
We are only responsible to you for foreseeable loss and damage caused by us. If we fail to comply with these Terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of us breaching these Terms or failing to use reasonable care and skill in our provision of the Services. We are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable or, to the extent permitted by law, for any indirect or consequential losses (including lost profits, lost revenue or financial losses) arising in the course of a business carried on by you.TrueLayer will not be responsible for any loss you may suffer as a result of your material failure to comply with these Terms or caused by matters beyond our reasonable control, for example, an interruption or failure of a utility service, pandemic, industrial action, natural disaster, explosion or accident. We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you insofar as it would be unlawful to do so.If, following use of our Services, you notice unauthorised, or suspicious transactions on your Payment Account, you should immediately contact your Payment Account Provider, who is responsible for investigation, and, where necessary, reimbursing you. Please refer to the complaints policy of your Payment Account Provider.We are not responsible for any harm, damage or loss to you arising from, or relating to hacking, tampering or unauthorised access to your Account Information that is not within our reasonable control. If you suspect that somebody else has access to your Credentials and is fraudulently using them to access the Services, you must contact us immediately by email at [email protected]
About These Terms
Each time you use our Services, you will be bound by the Terms in force at that time. Some or all of the Services may be provided by TrueLayer or another entity in its group (an "Affiliate") on its behalf. If some or all of the Services are provided by an Affiliate, you will be subject to these Terms unless and until you become subject to a separate agreement with that Affiliate, at which point these Terms will cease to apply.We may terminate our agreement with you or suspend your access to any part of our Services at any time if you have breached any of these Terms or if we believe we are required to do so by law. You may terminate your agreement with us at any time by creating a support ticket.We may update these Terms at any time and the changes will be published on this page. Any changes are effective immediately on posting.If either we or you terminate this agreement, or you do not agree to the Terms in force at the point at which you want to use our Services, you cannot use our Services.These Terms are available for you to download. Should you require a previous version, please create a support ticket.
Great service to End-Users is important to us. If you are unhappy with any part of TrueLayer's services, the easiest way for us to help resolve your issue is for you to contact our Client Care team via our website by clicking here.Alternatively you can reach us by email at [email protected] or you can write to us at:
- Client Care
- 1 Hardwick Street
- London, UK
- EC1R 4RB
- Financial Ombudsman Service
- Exchange Tower
- Harbour Exchange
- London, UK
- E14 9SR
These Terms are the entire agreement between you and us in relation to the Services. You may not transfer your rights under these Terms to any third party without our written consent. If there is any conflict between these Terms and terms that apply to additional services, the terms applying to any additional services will prevail in the conflict. If any part of these Terms is invalid, that part of the Terms shall be modified to make it valid, or deemed deleted if it is not possible to modify the term. This will not affect the rest of the Terms. A failure or delay by either of us in exercising any right or remedy under these Terms or by law shall not be a waiver of that or any other right or remedy. A waiver of any right or remedy under these Terms or by law is only effective if it is in writing. These Terms control the relationship between TrueLayer and you. They do not create any third party rights.
If you have any questions about the security we use at TrueLayer, please contact us by email at [email protected]Do you have other questions? [email protected]